January Minikins Challenge ✅... Out of order but I'm all caught up!!
As I wrote in my last blog post...I finally caved and bought the Minikins pattern and video package from Sara at Sew Sweetness and have joined in on the year long Minikins Challenge. Being as I started in February but the challenge started in January, I decided to go and make the January Challenge project...the I Spy Pouch!
I have to be honest I have done a couple of projects that have used vinyl and I am not a fan of sewing with it. It is hard to see something clear when you are cutting (you would think someone could come up with a removable film so you could see to work with it and sew with it without it being so clingy). So getting it square is sometimes a challenge for me. It sticks to everything, including my sewing machine needle, which can sometimes causes fabric pushing....but saying all of that, the pouch is such a fun design, and I loved the idea of seeing what is stored inside...so I pushed ahead and cut out all three of the sizes.
I started with the largest one and used an appliqué block that I had made for my granddaughter Ava and just added borders to bring it up to size. Using a combination of a sweet fabric line from Northcott called a Bundle of Love and a few odds and ends, the three pouches came together so cutely, but not without some sewing missteps....
Yup...not the best project to do while I was still sick and recovering from a cold/flu bug....but it did feel so good to get out of bed and do something creative, even if it isn't perfect....it is done, so that is something...lol
I had some clinging issues which caused my pieces to go out of square, but thankfully not more than I could fix in the seams...so it all worked out ok...and for some reason even after the third pouch was sewn together I still couldn't get the bottom opening sewn so that it didn't bulge a little after the last flip?? So if anyone reading this post has made this pattern and has a tip....please, please share it with me!!
TIPS FROM ME:
- I don't have a seam roller so I used my bone folder for card making and it worked great for "pressing" the fabric away from the vinyl.
- Keep a pressing cloth over your vinyl when you are pressing your fabric with your hot irons...yes, I damaged mine, so I am trying to spare you the pain....😉
- Take your time, each pouch did get easier...
Did I fall in love with vinyl, no....Will I use it again in projects...probably, because lets face it sometimes there just isn't another option for the look you get with clear vinyl, but I need to work on that removable film idea!!!
I decided to add an appliquéd heart to the inside of the large pouch for Ava, but with items going in and coming out I didn't want to do a raw edge appliqué, but I worried that flipping under the curved edges would end up looking wonky if I did it by hand. So I made a template and cut one piece of fabric and one piece of shape flex interfacing.
I placed the smooth side of the shape flex to the right side of my fabric and sewed around the edge at a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a small opening for turning. Clip the curves and trim the bottom point of the heart, then turn it right side out and press. It gave me a pretty, finished heart to blanket stitch in place on my pouch lining. I used a bit of Wonder Under to secure in place for sewing, but pins would work too.
Have a great week everyone!